Monday, August 15, 2005

If the Lakers sign Anderson, I think they are done for the off-season

I wrote this on 8/3 (Link)
Their roster if they sign Derek Anderson:
PG - Anderson, Parker
SG - Bryant, Walton (also SF)
SF - Odom, Jones (also PF), George (also SG)
PF - Brown, Cook
C - Mihm, Grant (also PF), Bynum
Inactive - Vujacic, Wafer, Medvedenko
Waived - Divac, Profit

If the Lakers sign Anderson, I think it will be to the MLE. The way the CBA is structured, waived players will want to make as much money as possible and the Lakers will want to give Anderson only 2 guaranteed years.

The only additional move I can see the Lakers making is waiving Grant and signing Robert Traylor to the LLE or vet minimum. I don't think the Lakers will waive Grant unless they can get a PF/C cheap.

With the Lakers' trading pieces being Divac, Cook, George, Medvedenko, Vujacic and Miami's first round pick, I don't think the Lakers can make a trade that improves their roster.

Lots of posters want to sign another guard besides Anderson such as Tyronn Lue, but (1) there isn't a roster spot and (2) I think anyone the Lakers can get for the LLE won't be significantly better than Parker.

I would think Medvedenko is on the bubble and could be cut in training camp. His salary isn't that much ($3 mil) and his inability to learn the triangle in 5 years really makes him of questionable value for the Lakers. At the same time, he put up some good numbers in Phil's last season and perhaps Phil thinks he can get him back on to the right track.

Since I wrote this, Grant was waived, so the Lakers should get a veteran back up

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home